Welcome to EDRA/GHIN
EDRA/GHIN brings together the world of home improvement.
Our membership includes 214 home centre companies operating
over 32,000 stores in 74 countries. Our members generate
over 1.6 million jobs and total revenues of approximately €320 bn.
> read more
Covid-19 - The Essential Role of Home Improvement Stores
We passionately believe that home improvement stores should be classified as essential retail. Our members' stores sell essential items such as electric, heating and plumbing equipment that customers require access to. Moreover, many home improvement stores also sell products that are currently in high demand (bleach, cleaning products/disinfectants, face masks etc...). Finally, as Governments are increasingly appealing to the global population to stay at home, it is even more important that these homes are functional and present a safe and secure living environment.
EuroCommerce, the voice of European Retailing in Brussels, appealed in their press release on the 18th of March, to the EU Governments to consider keeping DIY stores open - albeit with some restrictions. Some Governments have installed restrictive measures to tackle Covid-19 and yet recognised the DIY sector as an essential retailer that should remain open.
EDRA/GHIN General Secretary John W. Herbert has stated:
“Our absolute top priority is to protect the health and safety of both our customers and our employees and we are sure that if we install relevant restriction measures, for example reducing the number of customers in stores at any one time and ensuring social distancing is well observed, this will help to protect customers and employees’ personal safety and give the customers the opportunity to maintain their homes.”
Finally, EDRA/GHIN would like to ask the European Commission to suspend implementing new EU rules that are not directly related to the pandemic. Many companies are already feeling pressure from all sides. Adding new obligations, as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak, may hinder their capacity to tackle this evolving crisis.
Please find the press release here: Covid-19 - The Essential Role of Home Improvement Stores (EDRA-GHIN)
- Global: Garden Trends Report 2021 Published.
- Global DIY-Network: Dr. Ira Kalish – Global Economic Overview 2020
- Global DIY-Network: Interview with Werner de Jager, Group CEO of Cashbuild.
- Germany: Bauhaus Joins the BHB.
- Global DIY-Network: Interview with Sergio Giroldi, Group CEO of OBI and EDRA/GHIN President.
- Trade Fairs: IPM 2021 Postponed.
- Finland: Hardware Trade showing Good Growth.
- NHS: Registrations Are Open For The 2020 National Hardware Virtual Show.
- USA: NRHA Expands Membership To Include Paint, Decorating Retailers.
- Europe: Kingfisher Release Half Year Results To 31 July 2020.
- Europe: Hornbach Maintains Strong Growth In Second Quarter Of 2020/21 & Opens Its Seventh Branch In Romania.
- UK and Ireland: B&Q Launches New ‘Build a Life’ Campaign.
- Japan: Japanese Home Improvement market-2019.
- Trade Fairs: Horticultural Industry is Committed to IPM Essen.
EDRA/GHIN's membership spans the world. Both individual companies and national associations have a central role to play in our work. Through membership of the Global Home Improvement Network we provide a forum for knowledge sharing and networking for retailers. While EDRA provides the collective voice for home improvement retailers in Europe.
> read more